[ewg] Re: Distributing the SRP target source code

Vu Pham vuhuong at mellanox.com
Tue Jan 29 02:09:08 PST 2008

Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 9:20 AM, Vu Pham <vuhuong at mellanox.com> wrote:
>> There are two include paths. The first one is
>> /usr/local/include/scst and the second one are
>> drivers/infiniband/ulp/srpt. Therefore, building srpt in
>> ofed will always use the /usr/local/include/scst path first
>> and if you already install scst then there won't be any problem
>>
>> As you already know /usr/local/include/scst/scsi_tgt.h is
>> not userspace header. SCST is not part of kernel yet; srpt
>> is also not part of kernel
>
> Please remove drivers/infiniband/ulp/srpt/scsi_tgt.h and scst_const.h
> from the OFED distribution. It's better that the SRP target doesn't
> build if SCST was not yet installed instead of having to experience a
> kernel crash when OFED was built before SCST.

It's clear from both ofed/srpt readme and Vlad's SCST bit
fat warning
You either build scst before ofed or
rebuild ofed

>>> All this trouble can be avoided by distributing the SRP target code
>>> with SCST instead of with OFED.
>> The same problem would appear if someone use different ofed
>> versions
>
> Personally I never use OFED kernel modules built from the OFED source
> distribution but instead I use the InfiniBand kernel modules included
> with the Linux distribution in use. This guarantees consistence
> between the kernel core and the InfiniBand kernel modules. And
> whenever I use the SRP target code, I copy it to the kernel source
> tree and build it from there instead of relying on the OFED kernel
> build process.

And if you have never build ofed and only use IB
drivers/modules in kernel tree then you should not use the
srpt source in ofed distribution. You should srpt driver
from this git tree git://git.openfabrics.org/~vu/srpt.git

This srpt git tree does not have scsi_tgt.h in it