[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED Jan 28 meeting summary on RC3 readiness

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 12:41:25 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 14:21 +0200, Tziporet Koren wrote:
> OFED Jan 28 meeting summary on RC3 readiness:
> =====================================
>
> 1. OFED 1.3 readiness toward RC3 this week
>
>               * RC3 is based on the official 2.6.24 release
>               * RC3 is expected on Wed
>               * RC4 is planned for Feb 13
>

> 2. All companies update:
>
>               * IBM - ready for RC3
>               * Voltaire - ready for RC3
>               * Qlogic - ready for RC3; will work on bug 874
>               * Intel - things looks good. Need some uDAPL update from
>                 Arlin
>               * Chelsio - ready for RC3
>               * NetEffect - ready for RC3
>               * Cisco - reported all issues in bugzilla
>               * Mellanox - ready for RC3
>               * MPI - all packages are ready
>

> 3. Request to change IPoIB to support CM without SRQ and 4K MTU
>
>         Decided that we cannot insert such enhancements at this stage
>         (RC3 built today) without delaying the release since IPoIB is
>         a critical ULP used by all customers.
>
>         Since we do not want to delay the release and we wish to have
>         a solution for the new IPoIB enhancements we plan to have
>         1.3.1 release

Hmmm...I'd like to put my $.02 in here.  I don't have any visibility
into what drives the OFED schedule, so I have no clue as to why people
don't want to slip the schedule for this change.  I'm sure you guys have
your reasons.  However, I also happen to be a consumer of this code, and
I know for a fact that no one has gotten my input on this issue.  So,
the deal is that I'm currently integrating OFED 1.3 into what will be
RHEL5.2.  The RHEL5.2 freeze date has already passed, but in order to
keep what finally goes out from being too stale, I'm being allowed to
submit the OFED-1.3-rc1 code prior to freeze, and then update to
OFED-1.3 final during our beta test process.  What this means, is that
anything you punt from 1.3 to 1.3.1, you are also punting out of RHEL5.2
and RHEL4.7.  So, that being said, there's a whole trickle down effect
with various groups that would really like to be able to use 5.2 out of
the box that may prefer a slip in 1.3 so that this can be part of it
instead of punting to 1.3.1.  I'm not saying this will change your mind,
but I'm sure it wasn't part of the decision process before, so I'm
bringing it up.

>         AIs:
>         Tziporet to define the 1.3.1 release (scope of changes,
>         schedule etc.)
>         Vlad: open 1_3_1 branch so people will have a place to commit
>         changes. We will not start any daily build before 1.3 release
>

> 3. Review high priority bugs:
> 846     critical        jim at mellanox.com        SDP crash on RHEL5
> ppc64 running netserver                      - will be debugged
>
> 859     critical        monis at voltaire.com      Bonding configuration
> on Sles10 sp1 is not loaded consistently  - fixed
> 863     critical        monis at voltaire.com      ib-bonding won't
> compile for RHEL4 U6                           - fixed
> 874     critical        rjwalsh at pathscale.com   Intel MPI (IMB test)
> hangs intermittently on the qlogic HCA     - will be debugged by
> Qlogic
>
> 760     major   eli at mellanox.co.il      UDP performance on Rx is lower
> than Tx                          - for 1.3.1
> 761     major   eli at mellanox.co.il      Poor and jittery UDP
> performance at small messages              - for 1.3.1

Ditto for requesting these two be in 1.3.  We've already had customers
bring up the UDP performance issue in our previous releases.

> 869     major   orenk at dev.mellanox.co.il        mstflint won't build
> on SLES10 x86                      - fixed
> 736     major   rolandd at cisco.com       IBV_WC_RETRY_EXC_ERR errors
> with local rdma_reads               - seems a FW issue (Mellanox to
> debug)
>
> 767     major   swise at opengridcomputing.com     Non backport Kernels
> that don't build in genalloc cause compile errors for cxgb3 - no fix
> (document)

And we still need to get actual downloads for a number of the srpms in
OFED-1.3.  The various spec files list fictitious tarballs that aren't
actually available on the download server.  While that works for the
rcs, they really need to have a tarball up there for final.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at