[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED Jan 28 meeting summary on RC3 readiness

Kossey, Robert bob.kossey at hp.com
Wed Jan 30 10:54:23 PST 2008

I would prefer not to see OFED 1.3 delayed for this.  There will always be another bug, so you have to close the release and ship at some point.  In the case of these particular bugs, IIRC, the first involved an older HCA that may not be widely used.  The other UDP performance bugs do not have any ready fixes that I'm aware of.

A more general question I would like to ask the group is how many people use OFED from the RH or SUSE distros as is, as compared with using OFED releases from other sources like the IB vendors, or building their own from openfabrics.org?  We use RH distros, but to this point, the OFED support provided in RH distros has lagged behind the latest releases available from openfabrics.org.  This is not to fault Red Hat, but OFED is still changing too rapidly, with minor point releases and bug fixes, for a distro to keep up.  I think many of us hope that someday that will not be the case, but appears to be true for the foreseeable future.  Right now, our mode of operation is to remove whatever IB support comes in the distro and replace it, so it does not help us to delay  OFED 1.3 to get a particular bug fix in a distro.

Bob