[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED Jan 28 meeting summary on RC3 readiness

Parks Fields parks at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 31 09:36:51 PST 2008

At 09:16 PM 1/30/2008, Chet Mehta wrote:

>Robert,

> > A more general question I would like to ask the group is how many
> people use OFED from the RH or SUSE distros as
> > is, as compared with using OFED releases from other sources like
> the IB vendors, or building their own from
> > openfabrics.org?  We use RH distros, but to this point, the OFED
> support provided in RH distros has lagged
> > behind the latest releases available from openfabrics.org.  This
> is not to fault Red Hat, but OFED is still
> > changing too rapidly, with minor point releases and bug fixes,
> for a distro to keep up.  I think many of us hope
> > that someday that will not be the case, but appears to be true
> for the foreseeable future.  Right now, our mode
> > of operation is to remove whatever IB support comes in the distro
> and replace it, so it does not help us to
> > delay  OFED 1.3 to get a particular bug fix in a distro.

We have found that there are some vendors who dictate that they will
only support a Distro EX: RHXXX.   Then if you layer the latest OFED
on top, then the support is nullified. Or to get any bug fixes or
support you have to uninstall the what you did and repeat the
bug/error. SO I think it is very important to keep the Distros very
close the latest OFED stack.

>I believe the question that should be asked is "'How many IB
>customers would like to use the OFED distribution if provided by the
>distro?"  The answer at least for the customer set we deal with is
>pretty much unanimous. The fact is that customers are already
>dealing with a distro for their base OS so obtaining the
>interconnect code & support from the same sources is highly
>desirable. When OpenIB was new (in 2004/5) and "common" IB code was
>still in its infancy, the customer set was tolerant of 'build your
>own' or vendor provided distribution mechanism. However if IB is to
>become a ubiquitous interconnect, we in OFA have to strive to tailor
>our deliverables to meet distro requirements. Until we do that, IB
>will have difficultly gaining broader market acceptance.
>
>Just my perspective.
>
>:Chet.

                    ***** Correspondence *****

This email contains no programmatic content that requires independent
ADC review