FW: [ewg] Ofed1.3 bonding problem

Olga Shern olgas at voltaire.com
Thu Jul 10 07:23:00 PDT 2008

Hi Alicia,

You are right bonding package inside OFED replaces bonding package
that is installed on your OS (ib-bonding is installed under
/lib/modules/<uname -r>/updates, therefore if you will remove it, you
will have native bonding working).

I assume that your OS is RH 4.
Indeed in OFED 1.3 there was a bug, that Ethernet bonding didn't work
on RH4, but there is a workaround in OFED 1.3.1.
ib-bonding rpm includes ib-bonding.txt file that has an instruction
how to configure Ethernet bonding:
(/usr/share/doc/packages/ib-bonding-0.9.0/ib-bonding.txt)

3.3 Configuring Ethernet slaves
-------------------------------
It is not possible to have a mix of Ethernet slaves and IPoIB slaves under the
same bonding master. It is possible however that a bonding master of Ethernet
slaves and a bonding master of IPoIB slaves will co-exist in one machine.
To configure Ethernet slaves under a bonding master use the same instructions
as for IPoIB slaves (according  to the OS) with one exception. When working
under Redhat-AS4 do the following when configuring a bonding  master with
Ethernet slaves

- In the master configuration file add the line
SLAVEDEV=1
- In the slave configuration file leave the line
TYPE=InfiniBand

This bug will be fixed in OFED 1.4.

Please let me know if it helps.

Best Regards