[ewg] perfquery error

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Mon Jul 21 09:33:10 PDT 2008

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Steve,
>
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Steve Wise <swise at opengridcomputing.com> wrote:
>
>> Hal,
>>
>> perfquery barfs when an iwarp device is in the mix.  I think it needs to
>> skip over devices that are not IB.
>>
>> [root at vic12 ~]# perfquery
>> ibpanic: [5790] madrpc_init: can't open UMAD port ((null):0): (No such file
>> or directory)
>> [root at vic12 ~]#
>>

> What is the machine configuration in terms of RDMA devices ? Is there
> just an iWARP NIC in that machine or are there also IB CA(s) ?
>
> Is it correct to assume this is the latest perfquery/libibmad/libibumad ?
>
> I know this used to work in a mixed configuration but there was a
> change to a umad API which eliminated some functionality which might
> cause this to break (similar to a previous issue (that was resolved)
> with OpenSM in a mixed iWARP/IB configuration).
>
> BTW, Sasha is the maintainer for these management tools.

I can reproduce this on a system with 1 cxgb3 rnic and 1 mthca hca.  If
I specify the mthca device explicitly it works.  If I specify the rnic
device or no devices it fails (probably because cxgb3 is the first
device to query):

[root at vic12 ~]# perfquery -C mthca0
# Port counters: Lid 1 port 1
PortSelect:......................1
CounterSelect:...................0x0000
SymbolErrors:....................0
LinkRecovers:....................0
LinkDowned:......................0
RcvErrors:.......................0
RcvRemotePhysErrors:.............0
RcvSwRelayErrors:................0
XmtDiscards:.....................1
XmtConstraintErrors:.............0
RcvConstraintErrors:.............0
LinkIntegrityErrors:.............0
ExcBufOverrunErrors:.............0
VL15Dropped:.....................0
XmtData:.........................32387
[root at vic12 ~]# perfquery -C cxgb30
ibpanic: [3925] madrpc_init: can't open UMAD port (cxgb30:0): (No such
file or directory)
[root at vic12 ~]# perfquery
ibpanic: [3926] madrpc_init: can't open UMAD port ((null):0): (No such
file or directory)
[root at vic12 ~]#