[ewg] RE: List of libraries in OFED

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Sun Jul 27 02:30:49 PDT 2008

On 12:19 Sun 27 Jul     , Tziporet Koren wrote:
> Betsy Zeller wrote:
>> >From what I've heard, there are currently applications using:
>> - libopensm
>> - libosmcomp
>> - libosmvendor
>> - libibcommon
>>   Now that it is well understood that these libraries are intended to be
>> private, developers can move away from using them. But, in the meantime
>> it would be helpful if any major planned changes in these could be
>> posted to the list.
>>
> Sasha - please comment on the request from Betsy

Sure, we are posting even minor changes :) . Basically I'm fine if
developers use (or will use) those libraries, important point is that
they should not expect "stable API" there.

>> I've also heard it suggested that it would be easier to avoid some
>> issues with private libraries if they were not in the standard compiler
>> search path. There are pros and cons to deciding to move them, but I
>> thought I would mention the suggestion.
>>

> Library owners: Any thoughts here?

I don't like this idea (as well as this word - "private" :)). Some
packages in OFED already share those libraries (for instance ibutils uses
libopensm, etc.). Also somebody may want to use it - let people to decide.

Sasha