[ewg] Compatibility in OFED

Betsy Zeller betsy.zeller at qlogic.com
Mon Jun 2 14:22:13 PDT 2008

Sasha - one of the things we discussed at the Sonoma conference was
evolving our development process to emphasize the "Enterprise" in "Open
Fabrics Enterprise Distribution". Part of that is minimizing disruption
when new versions of OFED are installed. We want customers to feel
comfortable upgrading to new versions of OFED, and that's not going to
be true if they get surprised by other (previously working) software
breaking after installation.

What John is asking for here (at least deliver both versions of the
library for some period of time, and preferably don't break backward
compatibility at all) seems pretty reasonable from the user's
perspective, though I acknowledge that actually doing this requires
extra effort.

Separately, we should discuss how me manage version changes -
introducing a version change in the middle of the RCs seems a bit late
in the process.

Regards, Betsy