[ewg] OFED June 16 2008 meeting summary

Tziporet Koren tziporet at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jun 17 07:17:26 PDT 2008

OFED meeting summary for June 16 2008
======================================

* OFED 1.4: Decided to move the feature freeze to middle of July
(instead of end of June).
  Release schedule:
    * Alpha: Jul 15, 08 - feature freeze
    * Beta: Jul 30, 08 - kernel 2.6.27-rcX
    * RC1: Aug 13, 08
    * RC2: Aug 27, 08
    * RC3-RC5/6 - every 5-10 days
          o Latest RC to be used in OFA interop event
    * GA: Oct 06 08
* EWG chair and co-chair:
  Gopal will be the chair and he will work closely to bring Cisco
contribution
  to the EWG.
  Tziporet is nominated as EWG co-chair.
* Libraries: Going to define OFED public libraries, for which we commit
  stable API, and which are private.
* OFA web site: the development web page are under changes. See more
details below.

Details:
========
1. OFED 1.4 status:
   - Kernel:
     - Merged with 2.6.26-rc6
     - SRP still failing - fixed today
     - qlogic_vnic, iSER and nes - under work of the maintainers
     - New components:
       iSER target - under work
       NFSoRDMA - no update from Jeff yet
   - Userspace status:
     - libiverbs - took latest changes from Roland's tree
     - other components - moved to master git trees

2. Close feature freeze date for OFED 1.4:
After a short discussion all participant agreed that is make more
sense to have the code freeze on middle of July.
See release schedule above.

3. Electing a chair and co-chair to the EWG:
Gopal has joined the meeting and stated his wish to actively participate
in the
meetings and find a way for him and Cisco to contribute to the EWG
deliverables
and work.
In addition the group decided that Tziporet form Mellanox will be
nominated as co-chair
to continue and lead the EWG OFED activity.
Gopal and Tziporet will meet and define the collaboration between them.

4. OFED libraries backward compatibility:
Since we found that some "private" libraries were used as public, and
thus changes in their API caused end customer issues we decided that we
need to define which libraries are public and which are private.
Tziporet will prepare a list of libraries. In the next meeting we will
define the
public and private libraries. This list will be documented in the new
development web
page and will also be added to OFED docs.

5. OFA Web:
Woody updated on the changes on the developers' web page of OFA.
Everybody is welcome to look at the new web pages and send suggestion
for improvements.
Woody will send an explanation to the list how to update and add
documents to the doc directory
Tziporet will maintain the roadmap page.
Comment: the Linux download page is not organized and not pointing to
the OFED releases.

Tziporet

--
Tziporet Koren
Mellanox Technologies LTD.
E-mail: tziporet at mellanox.co.il

Emails belong on computers, trees belong in forests; if you must print
this, do it on recycled paper.
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/