[ewg] OFED March 10 teleconfrance meeting summary
tziporet at mellanox.co.il
Tue Mar 11 07:28:21 PDT 2008
OFED meeting summary:
1. Decide on fix release criteria and process (see below)
2. OFED 1.4:
- Target date: Sep 2008
- Will start with kernel 2.6.25 once it released
- Next meeting will be devoted to define the features set.
3. OFED meeting frequency - decided to continue with bi-weekly meeting
1. Maintenance release criteria and process:
1. No changes to kernel base (we should stay with 2.6.24)
2. No API changes (both in kernel and in user libs)
3. Low level driver changes - in the responsibility of the HW vendor,
The HW vendor can enhance/fix bugs in the low level driver
The QA for the change is the responsibility of the HW vendor
4. Core and ULPs (including MPI): Critical and high priority bug fixes
5. Add backports to support a new OS (e.g. SLES10 SP2, FC8, etc.)
* Will have first release few weeks after the plug-fest (depending on
found in the interop events)
* In general we wish to have a maintenance release every two months.
1. All vendors should run at least basic QA/verification cycle
2. If there is a change in a low level driver it's the responsibility of
HW vendor to run full QA with this HW.
1. Publish the maintenance release target date 3 weeks prior to the
2. Patches will be sent to Vlad against OFED 1.3 git repositories
(this can be done ongoing throughout the period between the releases)
3. A release will be built and tested by all companies in the usual
2. OFED 1.4:
a. Relations between Linux kernel.org and OFED kernel components:
There is an agreement that it is important to drive any kernel change
to kernel.org (except for modules with legal limitation like SDP).
However, there is a concern that waiting for acceptance to kernel.org
may hold vendors progress. So it seems that sending a patch to the
is a must, but acceptance to a specific kernel should not be a
for inclusion in OFED.
Since we have not get to agreement on this subject we decided to
raise it in
Sonoma again and decide there.
Johann - can such a BOF scheduled for Sonoma?
b. OFED 1.4 schedule and features:
- Since we do a release every half a year and Aug is not a good month
we decided on Sep 08
- First version of release features will be discussed in next
- Final list will be closed in Sonoma based on customers' requests
and vendors' plans.
More information about the ewg