[ewg] OFED March 24 meeting summary on OFED 1.4 plans

Tziporet Koren tziporet at mellanox.co.il
Mon Mar 24 13:45:01 PDT 2008

> OFED March 24 meeting summary about OFED 1.4 and 1.3.1 plans:

1.3.1 Release:
As we decided we should do a release in 2-3 month after 1.3.
In addition if there are any special fixes as outcome from the interop
we can do a release earlier.
All - please send me your requests for fixed issues and needed time
frame and I will publish 1.3.1 schedule based on this.

OFED 1.4:
> 1. Kernel base: since we target 1.4 release to Sep we target the
> kernel base to be 2.6.27
    This is a good target, but we may need to stay with 2.6.26 if the
kernel progress will not be aligned.

> 2. Suggestions for new features:
> *	NFS-RDMA
> *	Verbs: Reliable Multicast (to be presented at Sonoma)
> *	SDP - Zero copy (There was a question on IPv6 support - seems no
> one interested for now)
> *	IPoIB - continue with performance enhancements
> *	Xsigo new virtual NIC
> *	New vendor HW support - non was reported so far (IBM and Chelsio
> - do you have something?)
> *	OpenSM:
> *	Incremental routing
> *	Temporary SA DB - to answer queries and a heavy sweep is done
> *	APM - disjoint paths (?)
> *	MKey manager (?)
*	Sasha to send more management features
> *	MPI:
> *	Open MPI 1.3
> *	APM support in MPI
> *	mvapich ???
> *	uDAPl
*	Extensions for new APIs (like XRC) - ?
*	uDAPL provider for interop between Windows & Linux
*	1.2 and 2.0 will stay

> 3. Supported OSes & kernels
*	RHEL 4 up 5,6,7
*	RHEL 5 up 1,2 - all vendors please see if we can drop RHEL5
(base)
*	SLES10 SP1 SP2
*	Kernel.org: start from 2.6.18 - need to decide here based on
customers requests
> *	Fedora C8
*	OpenSuSE 10.3

Open (for discussion at Sonoma):
- Do we want to move that user level part will be based on tarballs and
not git
- Kernel.org and OFED kernel modules