[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] ofed autoconf.h

Brian J. Murrell brian at sun.com
Wed Apr 8 10:57:38 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 12:39 -0500, Steve Wise wrote:

> Ok we'll do this for 1538 and push it into ofed-1.4.1.

Great.  I will test as soon as it's pushed in to make sure it works.

> > Yeah.  I was considering that as well WRT to bug 1578 and not wholesale
> > "#undef"ing all macros leading to a mixture of kernel provided and OFED
> > provided RDMA options.
> >
> > I wonder if this is something that is appropriate to do at (OFED0
> > configure time, and simply bail if a mismatch is found with a "you can't
> > do that.  either change your ofed selections or disable FOO in your
> > kernel configuration" type error message.
> >

> Gimme an example of what you mean?

I don't know enough about the OFED stack to give you a specific example,
but, if you know of an API change that is happening in a given release,
you write an autoconf macro to test which API is available and if the
wrong one is, bail out of configure with an (informative) error.

> > I don't think this particular problem is something we need to address
> > for 1.4.1 though.
> >

> So 1578 can be deferred?

No, I mean the problem of detecting API changes in configure.  I'd still
like to see 1578 addressed for 1.4.1 as the fix in 1538 is pretty
useless without it as it will still mean needing to create a third,
temporary version of the autoconf.h file.

Cheers,
b.