[ewg] OFED-1.4 build issue

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sun Jan 4 05:55:30 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 11:12 +0200, Vladimir Sokolovsky wrote:
> Doug Ledford wrote:
> > So I downloaded the OFED-1.4.tar.gz file, unpacked it, went into
> > OFED-1.4/SRPMS and ran rpm2cpio on ofa_kernel-ofed-1.4.src.rpm, then ran
> > cpio on the output, then unpacked the ofa_kernel-1.4.tar.gz file.  I
> > then went into the ofa-kernel-1.4 directory and attempted to run
> > configure.  So far, there are at least three patches in the fixes
> > directory that won't apply either with or without quilt.  The
> > ipath_01_*.patch, ipath_02_*.patch, and mlx4_0390_Different*.patch files
> > all refuse to apply.  I haven't seen if there are others that fail to
> > apply, there may be.  I stopped after hitting the third one.  Does the
> > ofa_kernel tarball properly patch up for other people?
> >

> Hi Doug,
> I did the same without any issues:
>
> 1. Download
> http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/OFED/ofed-1.4/OFED-1.4.tgz
>
> 2. Use cpio
> rpm2cpio ofa_kernel-1.4-ofed1.4.src.rpm > ofa_kernel-1.4-ofed1.4.cpio
> cpio -i < ofa_kernel-1.4-ofed1.4.cpio
>
> 3. Run configure (I tried with and without quilt installed, kernel
> 2.6.9-78.ELsmp):
> tar xzf ofa_kernel-1.4.tgz
> cd ofa_kernel-1.4/
> ./configure

OK, I figured it out.  Evidently, when I extracted the tarball, I
extracted it over the top of an already existing ofa_kernel-1.4
directory from an earlier ofed-1.4 beta release.  That directory
contained a few files that didn't exist in the new tarball, and
therefore weren't overwritten, and as a result the combined patch set
didn't work.  A complete removal of the directory with a fresh
extraction from the tarball (what I thought I had in the first place)
solved the problem.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194