[ewg] OFED Jan 5, 2009 meeting minutes on OFED plans

Tziporet Koren tziporet at dev.mellanox.co.il
Wed Jan 7 05:31:01 PST 2009

Betsy Zeller wrote:
>  Given that we GA'd OFED 1.3 on Dec 10/08, I'm pretty uncomfortable with
> scheduling our OFED 1.4 release almost a full 8 months later.
I guess you meant 1.4 and 1.5 and not 1.3 and 1.4
The reason was - we wanted 7 months between the releases. Since 1.4 was
pushed to Dec no new development as actually started before the new year.
So I wanted more time for development before the feature freeze.

> If I remember right, our goal is to have two OFED releases a year.

When we decided this OFED was not that stable, and had less components.
So now QA cycle is long and I don't see a way to shorten it :-(
Maybe we can change this decision to have a release every 8 months. I
will put it in the agenda for next meeting.

> How about  a schedule as follows:
> Feature Freeze:	3/25/09
> Alpha Release:	3/25/09
> Beta Release:	4/20/09
> RC1: 		     4/06/09
> RC2:		     4/20/09
> RC3:		     5/04/09
> RC4:		     5/18/09
> RC5:		     6/01/09
> RC6:		     6/15/09
> Release: 	     6/28/09
>
> Or, we could be somewhat more firm about what constitutes a feature
> freeze, make that later, and go with less RCs. But, one way or another,
> I think we really need to tighten up the schedule.

The suggested schedule is almost the same as we presented in SC08 when
we thought that 1.4 will be in Nov.
One thing we did was to decide to have kernel base 2.6.29 - meaning by
March we should have it ready and we will not need to change backports
all the time.
Another thing that Woody suggested - assume in advance that we will have
6 RCs and allocate time to all of them (so we will not be surprised)

So maybe a compromise can be to shift it all in 2 weeks, something like:
Feature freeze on 4/01/09
Release on 7/13/09

Tziporet