[ewg] i need to avoid the NFSRDMA headers in kernel-ib-devel

Jon Mason jon at opengridcomputing.com
Wed Jul 8 12:42:49 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 03:27:29PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 14:16 -0500, Jon Mason wrote:
> >
> > The OFED NFS implementation
>
> *optionally*
>
> > replaces the in-kernel version.
>
> If one desires that.
>
> > So it will
> > be the version being used.
>
> Per above, only if you selected to build/install it.
>
> > Why would you not want this to be the
> > case?
>
> Because we are trying to minimize our responsibility for kernel
> deviation (and hence bugs) from the vendor's distributed kernel.
>
> OFED is an integral component of our software, so we are willing to take
> on the responsibility for that deviation.  NFS[RDMA] is not integral to
> our software, so we'd just as soon let the customer use what they would
> be using with the vendor's stock kernel if they want to use NFS.

Just tell them that NFSRMDA is NOT optional ;-)

Creating a seperate package can be quite harry and will eat a large
chunk of time.  I think it would be much easier to have some compile
time checkes, for example #ifdef CONFIG_NFS_FS around all the NFS
specific functions/headers.  Does that sound plausable/reasonable?