[ewg] RFC: Do we wish to take MPI out of OFED?

Tziporet Koren tziporet at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Jun 2 12:30:07 PDT 2009

Hello,
In the EWG meeting yesterday there was a suggestion to take out all MPI
packages including MPI tests out from OFED.

Here are some of the reasons for keeping MPI in or out of OFED.

Main reasons to take MPI out of OFED:
- MPI is not developed under OFA
- Need to synchronize between different projects
- Some customers prefer to install a different MPI version then the one
in OFED

Main reasons to keep MPI in OFED:
- All participants test with the same MPI versions, and when installing
OFED it is ensured that MPI will work fine with this version.
- Customers convenience in install (no need to go to more sites to get MPI)
- MPI is an important RDMA ULP and although it is not developed in OFA
it is widely used by OFED customers

Before we decide to do such a change I would like to get the more
opinions from the comunity.

Thanks,
Tziporet