[ewg] RFC: Do we wish to take MPI out of OFED?

Yiftah Shahar yiftahs at voltaire.com
Sun Jun 14 23:32:02 PDT 2009

Pasha, All,

I wrote a long detailed mail addressing many of the issues but most, if
not all, of the points were already addressed by others so I will try to
be short.

I can see from the mails and from my personal experience that most of
the "end users" do not need/use the MPI coming as part of OFED (they
have many different MPI installed in their clusters), as we can see
distro are not using it and also some (if not all) of OFED binary
package providers (i.e. companies) do not use it.

We think that the simple & clear answer is: "take the MPI packages out
of OFED"

This will serve us all good and it will be step in the right direction.

Regards,
Yiftah

OFA