[ofa-general] RE: [ewg] RFC: Do we wish to take MPI out of OFED?

Ryan, Jim jim.ryan at intel.com
Tue Jun 16 07:22:25 PDT 2009

Tziporet, there is some guidance on this question from the Bylaws:

"...ARTICLE 14.	MAINTENANCE OF AND MODIFICATION TO OPENFABRICS SOFTWARE STACKS

14.1	Updates.  By a majority vote, the Board or its designated Working Group may at any time update an OpenFabrics software stack for the sole purpose of making error corrections or updates (e.g. a subnet manager change, additional driver, or operating system release synchronization) that do not substantially alter or augment the functionality or capabilities of an OpenFabrics software stack. The Board or Working Group may publish such updates subject to the terms of Article 13.

14.2	Modification.  Once an OpenFabrics software stack has been approved, published and released, any additions or alterations (but not updates) that substantially augment (e.g. a new transport, or operating system) the functionality and capability of such OpenFabrics software stack shall follow the procedures for approval of a Proposal in Article 12..."

However, as you may infer from the text, it also sort of bucks the question back to you. If the changes are characterized as "updates", it takes a simple majority of the EWG. If the changes are "modifications", the reference to section 12 requires a 2/3 majority.

We have an XWG meeting tomorrow. Would you like to discuss the question then?

Thanks, Jim