[ewg] shipping firmware with ofed

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Tue Mar 3 10:13:32 PST 2009

Tziporet Koren wrote:
> Steve Wise wrote:
>> Is there any problem with shipping the required cxgb3 firmware in the
>> ofed releases?
>>

> No plans for any FW shipment with OFED.
> You can add in the RN the FW location on the web like we do for
> Mellanox devices
>
> Tziporet

I request that we do add this.  Forcing customers to download firmware
isn't very user friendly.

It should be fairly easy to do, yes?  I would take on the work involved
to add the infrastructure needed...

All that would be needed, I think, is to make a src rpm that allows
generating an rpm that will install the firmware in /lib/firmware.  Each
provider could manage their own.  Or we could have a "firmware" src rpm
that holds all the providers' firmware images...

Thoughts?

Steve.