[ewg] RE: [ofw] SC'09 BOF - Meeting notes

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Nov 19 16:29:07 PST 2009

Or wrote,

>> get the RDMAoE code into 1.5, marked as evaluation if that is EWG's assessment
>> rather than push it off to 1.6. This is important technology that should not be held back

>> It would be great if RoCEE were part of 1.5 even if it were
>> listed as "evaluation".. for now.

>> this is leading edge technology, so saying that it is for early evaluation is appropriate

>what is the thing you want to list as "evaluation" the whole ofed
>version or the rdmaoe part of it? in case you refer to the latter,
>this is impossible, since the rdmaoe patch set touches various areas
>of the IB stack code and is way not self contained, so the whole IB
>stack becomes "for evaluation", this stack is developed since June
>2004 and maintained in the kernel since early 2005, over the last year
>we see more and more people (e.g from the FSI market) looking and
>delpolying IB, as the technology and code became enterprise ready. Do
>you really want that after five years in January 2010 this stack will
>become experimental? why?

>Or.

There are already 2 complete branches of OFED-1.5, one
with and one without the RDMAoE code. This includes daily builds
and complete installer for each branch.  So what I would
suggest is that the OFED-1.5 code

http://www.openfabrics.org/~vlad/builds/ofed-1.5/

be used for the production OFED-1.5 release and the ofed-rdmaoe-1.5 code tar balls

http://www.openfabrics.org/~vlad/builds/ofed-rdmaoe-1.5/

be considered evaluation" or "experimental" for OFED-1.5 and until all of the
technical issues that the maintainers have raised with the RDMAoE code are resolved.

Since the RDMAoE code touches so many of the core components and is not just an isolated
component that could be marked as experimental within one OFED-1.5 tar ball, I
think we need to continue to have the two complete banches, daily builds, and tar balls
for each branch, as we have now.