[ewg] ofa_1_5_kernel 20091104-0200 daily build status

Jon Mason jon at opengridcomputing.com
Fri Nov 20 09:04:03 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:54:54AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 08:49 -0800, Jeff Becker wrote:
> >
> > Actually - that's OK, since the problem arises from the fact that the
> > backport file contains the definition because older versions of
> > SLES10SP2 didn't.
>
> Right.
>
> > You're basically replacing the kernel header
> > definition (in newer SLES10SP2 kernels) with the identical definition.
>
> Right.  For as long as it remains identical (i.e. it's changed in the
> SLES source -- for whatever, ever so remote reason).
>
> The purest in me would rather the solution worked the other way and
> preferred the version supplied by the kernel if it's present and fell
> back to the OFED definition if it's not.  I cannot figure out how to
> engineer that though.  :-/
>
> In the absence of that "more pure" solution, my patch seems to do the
> job with that very slight risk of de-synchronization.

The best solution would be a modification to KERNEL_VERSION which checks
for the EXTRAVERSION.  Then it would be a simple matter of checking to
see if the extraversion is older than the introduction of that change.
It is very similar to the issue I looked at in bug 1822, where SuSE
modified the definition of a kernel struct in a kernel update.  If
things are slow this weekend, I might take a stab at it, but I have a
feeling it will be rejected for mainline.

Thanks,
Jon