[ewg] IPoIB to Ethernet routing performance

Richard Croucher richard at informatix-sol.com
Mon Dec 6 04:08:43 PST 2010

Unfortunately, the 4036E only has two 10G Ethernet ports which will ultimately limit the throughput.

The Mellanox BridgeX looks a better hardware solution with 12x 10Ge ports but when I tested this they could only provide vNIC functionality and would not commit to adding IPoIB gateway on their roadmap.

Qlogic also offer the 12400 Gateway.  This has 6x 10ge ports.   However, like the Mellanox, I understand they only provide host vNIC support.

I'll leave it to representatives from Voltaire, Mellanox and Qlogic to update us. Particularly on support for InfiniBand to Ethernet Gateway for RoCEE.  This is needed so that RDMA sessions can be run between InfiniBand and RoCEE connected hosts.  I don't believe this will work over any of the today's available products.

Richard