[ewg] bug 1918 - openmpi broken due to rdma-cm changes

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Thu Feb 4 15:04:23 PST 2010

Sean Hefty wrote:
>> Well then the rdma-cm needs to know which devices support hw loopback.
>> Cuz on a T3-only system, no hwloop...
>>

> The problem sounds like it's more than just whether 127.0.0.1 is usable.  That
> check may fix openmpi, but it sounds more like the app needs to know whether the
> device can actually support loopback, regardless of what addresses are used.  Is
> this correct?
>
> What would openmpi do if there were two addresses assigned to the T3 device?

It would use them and might even create two connections.

> Does openmpi simply bypass RDMA for all connections on the local machine?

OpenMPI can be run to use hw loopback if its available.  For T3
clusters, OMPI is run in a mode to use shared memory for intra-node
communications.

> Basically, I'm not sure that this is *just* an rdma_cm issue.  Although it
> definitely appears that some sort of change needs to be made to the rdma_cm.

I think the OpenMPI rdmacm code needs to skip 127.0.0.1, in this
particular case.  Prior to ofed-1.5.1, however, the bind would fail and
thus OpenMPI would not advertise 127.0.0.1 to its peer.  I will work to
get that change done.

But lets also add a device attribute so the rdmacm can know if a device
supports loopback.   Clearly, if the rdma-cm allows binds to T3,
loopback connections will fail at connect time.

Hey Roland, are you ok with a device attribute to indicate hw-loopback
support?

Steve.