[ewg] bug 1918 - openmpi broken due to rdma-cm changes

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Feb 5 13:40:16 PST 2010

On Feb 5, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Well, I think you are right. This kind of change seems appropriate to
> me for mainline, but OFED/RHEL should carry a responsibility to manage
> an identified incompatibility, either patch their kernel, patch their
> OMPI, or publish an errata. That is the role of a distribution.

RHEL has said, multiple times, that they rely on OpenFabrics to do the Right Thing.  They don't do a lot of testing, validating, etc.

> Sounds like this is taken care for now anyhow, Sean's patch to remove
> it for iwarp since it doesn't work today with any iwarp drivers does
> obscure the problem.. But it does seem like rdma_cm mode for IB
> networks will still be broken in OMPI with the new kernels.

Correct.

So why not back off putting this in the kernel that's coming out now now now?  Why not put it in *next* kernel?  (or even better, the one after that)

Is there a rush / need to have this in *now*?

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com

For corporate legal information go to: