[ewg] rdma/cm: revert associating an RDMA device when binding to loopback

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Feb 9 14:01:21 PST 2010

Open MPI also now checks for 127.0.0.1/8 and skips them.  This behavior will be included in the upcoming Open MPI v1.4.2 (possibly within a few weeks?) and Open MPI v1.5.0.

Two followup questions:

1. Is this now the recommended way to find all the IP interfaces that support RDMA:

- loop over all local IP addresses
- if 127.0.0.1/8, skip
- try to rdma_bind_addr()
- if it succeeds and verbs ptr is != NULL, it's an RDMA device

(I believe Steve Wise proposed adding an API function to just return a list of IP addresses of RDMA devices a while back; it was rejected, which is why either we use the try-to-rdma_bind_addr() approach)

2. Before Sean backed out the localhost behavior, when you rdma_addr_bind(127.0.0.1), what did the id->verbs pointer correspond to?