[ewg] New name for IBV_QPT_RAW_ETH

Moni Shoua monis at Voltaire.COM
Tue Jun 22 01:35:05 PDT 2010

Hi,
In yesterday's EWG meeting we agreed that a better name is required instead of IBV_QPT_RAW_ETH.

The qp type IBV_QPT_RAW_ETH was introduced lately and it represents a QP that doesn't add headers to the data in post_send operation. Today, this QP is used in applications that want to send Ethernet frames to the wire. However, it is not limited to the Ethernet protocol and one can write an application that sends any type of packet (am I wrong here?)

Therefore I can think of the following names

IBV_QPT_FRAME
IBV_QPT_PACKET
IBV_QPT_NOHDR

Also, the prefix IBV may be misleading (it's not an IB QP) so this it can be replaced in the above suggestions to RAW.
I don't tend to agree to this because I think that all QP types should start with the same prefix.

You are all welcome to state your opinion so please do so.

thanks

Moni S.