[ewg] New name for IBV_QPT_RAW_ETH

Alex Rosenbaum Alexr at voltaire.com
Tue Jun 22 01:55:44 PDT 2010

It is true that on the send path you can send any sort of packet.
The user of the QP is required to build the MAC header so he could
potentially build any other sort of header instead.
AFAIK the NIC will wrap the post_sent data in an Ethernet type II frame
which includes the tailing CRC.

But on the receive path this QP assume an MAC header. The qp attach GID
value gets the multicast MAC destination address to catch the correct
ingress packets.

Bottom line is that I think RAW_ETH is a good name.
On the other hand, I never fully understand what does RAW_ETY stand for?
Maybe we should change it instead to better represent what it does.

PS: I agree with you that all ibverbs enums should start with a
standard, in this case using IBV_QPT_xxxx.

 Alex Rosenbaum