[ewg] Question: When should patches be submitted to EWG and when should they be submitted to linux-rdma?

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Wed May 26 16:38:34 PDT 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010 13:58:41 -0700
Mike Heinz <michael.heinz at qlogic.com> wrote:

> My preference for bug fixes is that they be applied so that they go into the
> upstream kernel - assuming they don't require EWG-only changes. But I need
> to understand the correlation between the two source trees - if you accept a
> bug fix for the upstream kernel, will that end up in OFED as well, or do I
> need to submit the patch to both groups?

There is a reason upstream is called "upstream".  If you get it into the
upstream kernel it will flow down and everyone will get it.  If you only
submit to EWG then it will stay there in OFED purgatory.

That is not to say you can't submit to OFED for "critical" things which your
customers need but that should be an exception rather than the rule.

Ira