[ewg] Question: When should patches be submitted to EWG and when should they be submitted to linux-rdma?

Tziporet Koren tziporet at dev.mellanox.co.il
Thu May 27 02:40:31 PDT 2010

On 5/27/2010 1:57 AM, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
> In general, we would like kernel code to be reviewed and accepted (or at least queued for
> acceptance) upstream first and then submitted to to the ewg for the next OFED release.
>
> There are sometimes exceptions where things go into OFED before being accepted
> upstream but in general, we would like to follow the model where they are
> submitted upsteam first if possible.
>
> Some things, like backport patches or OFED installation scripts,
> are only mainatained by the EWG, so in those cases, they only need to
> be submitted to the EWG list.

I fully agree with Woody here.
I wanted to make one point clear:

When the fix accepted by the kernel it will get automatically into next
OFED release (1.6 in our case) that will be based on this kernel version
or beyond.
However if you wish to have the fix also in OFED today (1.5.x) you have
to send a specific patch to OFED too.
Since current OFED kernel base is 2.6.30 many time the patch to OFED and
the kernel will not be identical.

Tziporet