[ewg] Allowing ib dignostics to be run without being logged in as root.

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Sun May 30 16:43:22 PDT 2010

Hi Woody,

On 13:51 Tue 25 May     , Woodruff, Robert J wrote:

> Some people were asking me if it would be possible to
> allow some of the IB diagnostic tools to be run without
> requiring being logged in as root. Would there be
> any problem in changing the installation to set their
> permissions to setuid root to allow this, i.e.,
>
> chmod +s /usr/sbin/ibnetdiscover
> chmod +s /usr/sbin/ibaddr
> chmod +s /usr/sbin/smpquery
> chmod +s /usr/sbin/perfquery

As many others I would also suggest to not make it (at least in default
installation).

However you can try to run diagnostic tools as non-root user by doing
follow:

1. create some dedicated group, let's say 'umad'.
2. add dedicated users to be a members of this group
3. chown root:umad /dev/infiniband/umad*
4. chmod 0660 /dev/infiniband/umad*
5. update ib related udev rules file to match above

This is how device access is granted to users normally.

Sasha