[ewg] Capturing infiniband packets on the wire

Julien Lafaye jlafaye at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 06:19:45 PDT 2011

Hello,

 I am trying to find a reliable method to see the packets sent on an
  Infiniband link. For this I am trying to use the ibdump software
  provided by Mellanox in their custom ofed distribution.
  I have a simple setup with two hosts A and B configured with addresses
  10.2.61.9 and 10.2.61.10 using ipoib. Using ibdump and
  the ibv_rc_pinpong test, I obtain pcap files in which inbound
frames are present.
 There is NO outbound frame in my ibdump captures:
  - is that expected behavior ?
  - as far as I have understood, the queue pair to which payloads are
  sent is coded in the IB frame. How come can a program observe frames
  sent to an other queue pair using its own queue pair ?
  - is ibdump relying on Mellanox card specific features ? Is source
  code available ?
  I am using MLNX_OFED_LINUX-1.5.2-2.1.0-rhel5.4.iso from Mellanox
  website and the output of ibv_devinfo is at the end of this email.

  Best regards

  Julien Lafaye

  host A:
  hca_id: mlx4_0
          transport:                      InfiniBand (0)
          fw_ver:                         2.6.000
          node_guid:                      0030:48ff:ffce:5b5c
          sys_image_guid:                 0030:48ff:ffce:5b5f
          vendor_id:                      0x02c9
          vendor_part_id:                 26428
          hw_ver:                         0xA0
          board_id:                       SM_2091000001000
          phys_port_cnt:                  1
                  port:   1
                          state:                  PORT_ACTIVE (4)
                          max_mtu:                2048 (4)
                          active_mtu:             2048 (4)
                          sm_lid:                 1
                          port_lid:               14
                          port_lmc:               0x00
                          link_layer:             IB

  host B:
  hca_id: mlx4_0
          transport:                      InfiniBand (0)
          fw_ver:                         2.6.000
          node_guid:                      0030:48ff:ffce:5b58
          sys_image_guid:                 0030:48ff:ffce:5b5b
          vendor_id:                      0x02c9
          vendor_part_id:                 26428
          hw_ver:                         0xA0
          board_id:                       SM_2091000001000
          phys_port_cnt:                  1
                  port:   1
                          state:                  PORT_ACTIVE (4)
                          max_mtu:                2048 (4)