[ewg] [RFC] - Proposal for new process for OFED releases

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Dec 1 16:13:41 PST 2011

Sean wrote,
>> - OFED will offer only backports to the distros  (no fixes)
> I think this point needs to be clarified - at least to me anyway. :)

What this means is that the OFED code base will be identical to what
is included in the upstream kernel and libs.
OFED will provide only backports to allow that
code to be run on other kernels.

If people find a bug or want a new feature, they need to submit the patch for the bug
or new code upstream and have it accepted there before it will go into any OFED
release.

We may need some other way for people to try out experimental new feature/code
that is not upstream, but we won't include any non-upstream code in the production
OFED release.

Hope this helps clarify the proposal.