[ewg] IB HA mode bonding over SDP

Richard Croucher richard at informatix-sol.com
Mon Mar 21 00:25:36 PDT 2011

The bonding driver only works for IPoIB.   If  you are have writing you own
VERBS program then you can use Automatic Path Migration (APM) but this does
require not insignificant coding.

Currently SDP, RDS, SDR, iSER don't include any failover.   Some, such as
SDP and iSER at least, use IPoIB as a namespace; using it to identify the
end-points with the familiar IPv4 naming tools.  The currently active link
from the IPoIB bonded pair will therefore be used for this naming unless you
specifically use the non-bonded IP addresses to identify the interface.

Failover is not such as issue for the storage protocols, since most
platforms already have solutions for channel failover for block storage
devices.  On Solaris, I used MPxIO successfully over SRP.

Whilst SDP does not currently include APM support it will automatically fall
back to IPoIB in the event of a problem.

APM is relatively new to OFED.   I know of a number of VERBS programs which
have specifically coded it in.

So the bottom line is that OFED provides the capability, but it is up to the
ULP protocol to decide if to use it and to then add the necessary code.

Richard