[ewg] QP type

Yann Droneaud ydroneaud at opteya.com
Mon Mar 21 03:54:46 PDT 2011

Hi,

I was planning to prototype an application around Infiniband's Reliable
Datagram.

The application need to communicate an undefined amount of data with
multiple peers.

I was looking to use Reliable Datagram in order to avoid the "cost" of
connecting each time it send a piece of information or keeping an "open"
connection to each peer.

Using Reliable Datagram seems easier to use than building some
connection pool around Reliable Connection mode.

But Reliable Datagram doesn't seems to be supported by Linux Infiniband
software stack (OFED) : libibverbs header <infiniband/verbs.h> doesn't
have the definition of QP type Reliable Datagram:

enum ibv_qp_type {
	IBV_QPT_RC = 2,
	IBV_QPT_UC,
	IBV_QPT_UD
};

Could someone provide me a rationale about the non-availability of
Reliable Datagram.

(Even if i'm not going to use RAW QP, is it unsupported too ?).

Regards

--
Yann Droneaud
OPTEYA