[ewg] IPOIB Bonding on RHEL 6.1

Eric BERTHIAUME eberthiaume-ext at cheuvreux.com
Fri Sep 23 06:43:25 PDT 2011

Hello All,

please excuse me if i'm not posting in the right mailing list.  If there
is a more appropriate place to post this kind of question i would be happy
to know.

I've been looking around IB bonding support on linux for a couple of days
without seeing something relevant to RHEL 6.1

I'm just looking to build some IB bonding over ethernet on my linux
cluster.  Both links work on their own without bonding.

IB0 and IB1

Ethernet bonding is already working (bond0)

ETH0 and ETH1

IB Bonding looks good in dmesg:

(deprecated).  Use CAP_NET_ADMIN and alias netdev-bond1 instead
bonding: bond1 is being created...
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): bond1: link is not ready
bonding: bond1: Adding slave ib0.
bonding: bond1: Warning: enslaved VLAN challenged slave ib0. Adding VLANs
will be blocked as long as ib0 is part of bond bond1
bonding: bond1: Warning: The first slave device specified does not support
setting the MAC address. Setting fail_over_mac to active.
bonding: bond1: enslaving ib0 as a backup interface with a down link.
bonding: bond1: Adding slave ib1.
bonding: bond1: Warning: enslaved VLAN challenged slave ib1. Adding VLANs
will be blocked as long as ib1 is part of bond bond1
bonding: bond1: enslaving ib1 as a backup interface with a down link.
8021q: adding VLAN 0 to HW filter on device bond1
bonding: bond1: link status definitely up for interface ib0.
bonding: bond1: making interface ib0 the new active one.
bonding: bond1: first active interface up!
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): bond1: link becomes ready
bond1: no IPv6 routers present
bonding: bond1: link status definitely up for interface ib1.

But no bond.100 device under ifconfig or /sys/class/net/

Environnement
OS: RHEL 6.1

mlx4_core: Mellanox ConnectX core driver v0.01 (May 1, 2007)
mlx4_en: Mellanox ConnectX HCA Ethernet driver v1.5.1.6 (August 2010)
mlx4_ib: Mellanox ConnectX InfiniBand driver v1.0 (April 4, 2008)

rpms
libibverbs-utils-1.1.4-2.el6.x86_64
infiniband-diags-1.5.5-1.el6.x86_64
rdma-1.0-9.el6.noarch
libibverbs-1.1.4-2.el6.x86_64

ifcfg-ib*
DEVICE=ib0
USERCTL=no
MASTER=bond1
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=InfiniBand

DEVICE=ib1
USERCTL=no
MASTER=bond1
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=InfiniBand

DEVICE=bond1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no
BONDING_OPTIONS="mode=active-backup primary=ib0 miimon=100"

DEVICE=bond1.100
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no
IPADDR=10.157.78.169
NETMASK=255.255.255.128
PREFIX=27
ONBOOT=yes
BONDING_OPTIONS="mode=active-backup primary=ib0 miimon=5000"

kernel/drivers/net/bonding/bonding.ko
kernel/drivers/infiniband/ulp/ipoib/ib_ipoib.ko

I have used everything out of the box without loading any extra packages
apart the ones provided with the distributor.

I did not used any of the ib-bonding scripts.  Should i?  Or can things
work out of the box?  Anything missing kernel driver wise?

Thanks.

Eric

"This message, including any attachments may contain confidential
and privileged material; it is intended only for the person to whom
it is addressed. Its contents do not constitute a commitment by Credit
Agricole Cheuvreux except where provided for in a written agreement.
Credit Agricole Cheuvreux assumes no liability or responsibility for
the consequences arising out of a delay and/or loss in transit of this
message, or for corruption or other error(s) arising in its
transmission and for any misuse or fraudulent use which may be made
thereof. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact us and
abstain from any disclosure, use or dissemination. To the extent that
this message contains research information and/or recommendations, these
are provided on the same basis as Credit Agricole Cheuvreux's
published research and the recipient must have regard to all disclosures
and disclaimers contained therein."