[ewg] Status of SDP? (and ib_sdp patch for Linux-3.4.x)

richard Croucher Richard.croucher at informatix-sol.com
Mon Apr 23 10:25:01 PDT 2012

What's makes SDP so useful and why is will be sorely missed is that it
does not require users to refactor existing TCP socket code, or even be
in possession of the source code for that matter.   Simply preloading
libsdp is all need to do to convert that old, cranky tcp program to run
(almost) native over InfiniBand.

SDP is used as a wire protocol rather than a API.  There are several
contending API's out there, including Bob Russell's Extended Socket API
which could be candidates, but I would like to see the concept of the
preload preserved. It's been a powerful factor in getting InfiniBand
adoption.
--

Richard Croucher
www.informatix-sol.com