[ewg] Building OFED 1.5.4.1 on SLES11SP1 + updates kernel 2.6.32.54-0.3

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Fri May 18 13:12:13 PDT 2012

Mike Marciniszyn <mike.marciniszyn at ...> writes:

> You probably want to submit on the ewg list and not the rdma list.
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to build the recent OFED release on a SLES11SP1 box with
> > the latest kernel, had to upgrade to fix security and other problems.
> > However, the OFED build is dying... does anyone have any patches to
> > make this work? Can I pull fixes from some dev tree?
> >
> On the surface, it looks like OFED would need to differentiate between the
2.6.32.12-0.7 and the new
> 2.6.32.54-0.3 for at least this issue.
>
> Is the IS_ERR_OR_NULL() a define in the new header file or an inline
> function?

I think that's just a confusing error message. The real cause of the problem is
that in the kernel used to test OFED 1.5.4.1, netif_set_real_num_tx_queues
used to be a void function, but since receive/xmit packet steering was
implemented, this function has turned into an int function.

Since the OFED code expects a void function, it's not going to do anything with
the return value, so I think it's fair to say that changing the header to make
it
consistent with the kernel (and the implementation of the function) is going
to do little harm, so I'd simply change the OFED header's "void" to "int" for
the return type of the function.