[ewg] server migration

Ken Strandberg kens at openfabrics.org
Mon May 28 11:29:21 PDT 2012

I completed the server migration this morning. Here are items to note.
Please send me email if you find any anomalies or abnormalities.

To all:

lists.openfabrics.org, www.openfabrics.org should function as before.

There is a new direct subdomain to the downloads:  downloads.openfabrics.org

Please check the following:

Send yourself email through your openfabrics account, if you're forwarding
mail from openfabrics.org to another account. If you use an
openfabrics.orgemail account directly, please check you can get your
email. If you want to
use an openfabrics.org email account, you now can access it with your imap
client using your login and password for your existing account and
lists.openfabrics.org as the server.

Developers:

The new server is beany.openfabrics.org. Your username and passwd should be
the same as on sofa.

I rsync'd all /home dirs to the new server on Saturday (5/27). Please
verify your files on beany are up to date. If not, please update your
files. Sofa will remain online for about another month. The week before I
de-commission sofa, I'll notify all users. And again the day before. Please
make sure all your files are moved to beany.

If you had cron jobs you ran, you should check that they're set up and
running as intended. I did not set up or get into any of your /home files.
I only copied them.

git.openfabrics.org should function as before.

SVN users:

The svn repos should be operating as before. I dumped and loaded all
databases as of Sunday morning (5/28). This is now the active repository.
If you use svn:// protocol with your client, you need to change your
address to the following

svn://beany.openfabrics.org/ofw (for windows)
svn://beany.openfabrics.org/nvmewin (for NVMe)

If you use http:// protocol, the address is still
http://www.openfabrics.org/svnrepo/nvmewin (or ofw)

Again, please do not use sofa.openfabrics.org/svnrepo/xxx for your
repositories. Your trees will be out of date if  you do.

General:

Why all this work to migrate to a new server?

The sofa /home and /var directories were getting full. There was only about
3% left in /home.

The new server gives us more disk space (a full TB instead of 700GB).

Offsite storage for files. I was concerned about disaster recovery in the
event of a meltdown at the hosting facility.

Other than that, the hardware is about the same.

We're saving about $120/month for more space.

Again, please send me email if you see anything abnormal.

Thanks.

--

*Ken Strandberg*
*Webmanager/SysAdmin*