[ewg] Question about CONFIG_COMPAT_RHEL_6_4

Shuichi Ihara sihara at ddn.com
Mon May 27 04:47:49 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm testing lustre with OFED-3.5.1 against RHEL6.4 kernel.
There are a lot of duplicated functions and macro name in the compat headers that there are already defined in RHEL6.4's kernel as their own backport.
However, this is fine. In order to ignore them, I see there is special macro CONFIG_COMPAT_RHEL_6_4.
Thanks for this superset for RHEL6.4 kernel!

I have succeeded Lustre build with "-DCONFIG_COMPAT_RHEL_6_4".

However, in general (not only lustre, but also building kernel module with OFED-3.x against RHEL kernel) I'm wondering what is proper process if we want to build with OFED and RHEL kernel.

And, here is my additional questions...

1. OFED-3.x is NO auto detection kernel version and set superset macro (like CONFIG_COMPAT_RHEL_6_4) in OFED itself?
Does user have to make sure kernel version and set -DCONFIG_COMPAT_RHEL_6_4 to build?

2. What happen if new new distribution update release out? We will see CONFIG_COMPAT_RHEL_6_{5,6}??

3. How about other distribution case? Any development documentation available for OFED-3.x?

Thanks
Ihara