[ewg] Can't snoop all kinds of mad packets

Hal Rosenstock hal at dev.mellanox.co.il
Mon Apr 7 17:50:55 PDT 2014

> We try to use IB MAD snoop to capture IB mad packets.

Note that there is old kernel util module madeye written by Sean which
does this:

http://git.openfabrics.org/?p=ofed_1_5/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/infiniband/util/madeye.c;h=2c650a33a69c56d2b8a3274f63185214904abf3a;hb=967460824529719677d6a1d4600ec3e89a4538ab

which shows how to properly use the ib_register_mad_snoop API for both
SM and GS class MAD snooping.

> However, currently
> only the classes of DevMgt (0x06) and ComMgt (0x07) could be snooped. We
> tried to run tests based on class Perf (0x04) and class Subn (0x01) mad,
> and neither of them can be captured. Any suggestion?

In the distant past, I've used madeye and captured SM, SA, and PerfMgt
packets.

Assuming your snoop registration(s) is/are correct:
Most SM packets are class 0x81 (directed route) and not class 0x01 (LID
routed) but this is SM dependent. Also, it might be that there is no
PerfMgt running to/from your node.

-- Hal