[ewg] FW: Some NetApp concerns re licensing terms WRT code contributed to OFED

Bill Boas bboas at systemfabricworks.com
Mon Aug 17 09:37:59 PDT 2015

From: Heller, Jeffrey [mailto:Jeffrey.Heller at netapp.com]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 3:15 PM
To: Bill Boas <bboas at systemfabricworks.com>
Subject: Re: Some NetApp concerns re licensing terms WRT code contributed to OFED

Her is a pointer to a file with the license from the linux kernel. As you can see the key to our problem is "This software is available to you under a choice of one of two licenses” and for linux the coice is clear. There is nothing that says both licenses have to be preserved.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/infiniband/core/addr.c?id=30dc5e63d6a5ad24894b5512d10b228d73645a44

/*
 * Copyright (c) 2005 Voltaire Inc.  All rights reserved.
 * Copyright (c) 2002-2005, Network Appliance, Inc. All rights reserved.
 * Copyright (c) 1999-2005, Mellanox Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.
 * Copyright (c) 2005 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * This software is available to you under a choice of one of two
 * licenses.  You may choose to be licensed under the terms of the GNU
 * General Public License (GPL) Version 2, available from the file
 * COPYING in the main directory of this source tree, or the
 * OpenIB.org BSD license below:
 *
 *     Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
 *     without modification, are permitted provided that the following
 *     conditions are met:
 *
 *      - Redistributions of source code must retain the above
 *        copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
 *        disclaimer.
 *
 *      - Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
 *        copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
 *        disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
 *        provided with the distribution.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
 * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
 * MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
 * NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS
 * BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN
 * ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
 * CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
 * SOFTWARE.
 */