[ewg] OFA EWG Meeting: Monday, Oct 24, 2016, 09:00 AM US Pacific Time (12pm EST) - Agenda

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Fri Oct 21 14:19:49 PDT 2016

Since Vlad is still out, probably Ok to skip next week. I am also still waiting for an official response to our GPL only code request that we gave Jim Ryan in the last EWG meeting, i.e.,  to take to the board for discussion.

Also, from my reading of the bylaws, OFED may not actually be bound by the strict BSD/GPL requirement anyway since it does not, and has never, been approved by the board (which requires a vote) to be an official "Open Fabrics Software Stack" as is defined in the bylaws.

I have for guidance by Susan and Paul if that is indeed a correct interpretation.  Further, since they are currently updating the bylaws, I have
asked them to add a definition for OFED to the bylaws and make the distinction between "Open Fabrics Software" and OFED.
Below is the definition that I have suggested with the last sentence making the distinction clearer.

"OpenFabrics Software (OFS) is a suite of open source software components for networking focused on improving system performance, scalability, efficiency and reliability by applying advanced techniques such as Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) and kernel bypass to network operations.  OpenFabrics Software is developed by OFA member companies and other open source developers under the agreed upon OFA BSD/GPL dual license.  The OFS code is then contributed to the larger open source community as part of the RDMA subsystem and other related packages.  The integration of OFS code along with parts of the RDMA subsystem and related/necessary code is then packaged and provided as the Open Fabrics Enterprise Distribution (OFED)."