[ewg] OFA EWG Meeting: Monday, Oct 24, 2016, 09:00 AM US Pacific Time (12pm EST) - Agenda

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Mon Oct 24 10:29:56 PDT 2016

>[root at stevo2 linux-2.6]# grep LICENSE drivers/infiniband/ulp/isert/*.c drivers/infiniband/ulp/isert/ib_isert.c:MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

Hmm. That's news to me. I was not aware of that one.

This is why we need a formal recognition that OFED contains more than just the code developed by open fabrics members
under the dual BSD/GPL license. The board is in the process of reworking the OFA bylaws that discuss OFA members
submitting code under the dual license. They need to be update to reflect the reality of the situation, i.e., that the larger RDMA subsystem accepts
contributions from non-OFA members and some of that code is GPL only, and the EWG wants to package code from the larger RDMA subsystem
(not just the BSD/GPL code) in OFED. This is why I brought it up with Jim Ryan at the last meeting, as some people on the board were
under the impression that we could somehow continue to produce an OFED package that contains only BSD/GPL code.  I do not see that
as a viable possibility and thus, as the board updates the bylaws, they should be modified to reflect that.