[ewg] OFED-4.8, rdma-core, and library paths

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue Feb 7 09:11:45 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 09:07:28AM -0600, Steve Wise wrote:

> I think we have an issue with the new rdma-core packaging and OFED-4.8.  I think
> OFED-4.8 installs provider libraries in a different location than previous
> releases of the provider libs.

On Redhat, yes. OFED could build using the

-DVERBS_PROVIDER_DIR=''

To disable this new location if absolutely necessary.

> The result of this, I think, is that OFED-4.8 installed over a
> destro with its own provider libs installed will result in two
> versions of the libs installed,

Yes...

> and further, the system might end up using the distro provider libs
> with newer OFED drivers, which could be problematic.

Hm, possibly yes. ibverbs first checks the new location, if the
provider is not there then it will fall back to a naked dlopen which
could find providers in the system library path if there was a .driver
file for it.

However, starting in rdma-core 13 the distro providers will not be
link compatible with new libibverbs and will silently fail to load.

> What do folks think about this?  Should OFED-4.8 try and uninstall rdma
> cmds/libs regardless of where they came from?  Perhaps optionally.  Or should
> this just be documented so the admin is required to deal with it?  I think if we
> leave OFED as-is, we'll end up with lots of support issues where old libs are
> being loaded causing problems.

I'm not sure it is likely someone will hit this. The user would need a
distro packaged provider that is not included in rdma-core. AFAIK no
such thing exists...

Do you know of another way to trigger wrong loading?

Jason