[ewg] OFED-4.8, rdma-core, and library paths

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue Feb 7 10:18:14 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 08:06:42PM +0200, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

> > > Hmm, so it will load the provider libraries directly specifying the
> > > full path?  IE 'ldconfig -p' doesn't matter?
> >
> > As the first try, yes. That is the usual way to locate
> > plugins. Typically you don't want the system linker searching plugin
> > directories.
>
> Jason,
> I have a slightly different question, but it is still in context of
> plugins and linkers.
>
> In v0 of DV, you asked from us to create normal shared library for mlx5,
> e.g. libmlx5.so. In order to be visible to "gcc -lmlx5"i command, it should be
> placed in the same directory as libibverbs.so, while plugins should be placed
> in libibverbs folder.
>
> I did it by using symlinks
> $l /usr/lib64/libibverbs
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root   10 Feb  7 18:09 libmlx5-rdmav2.so -> ../libmlx5.so
> $l /usr/lib64 | grep mlx5
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root   12 Feb  7 18:09 libmlx5.so -> libmlx5.so.1
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root   17 Feb  7 18:09 libmlx5.so.1 -> libmlx5.so.1.0.13
>
> It works, but I don't know if it is right approach from distro/packaging
> perspective. Is it ok?

I think this is basically OK. The symlink should point to the real
file (libmlx5.so.1.0.13) though.

Also, make sure that cmake computes the .. properly, something like

execute_process("realpath --relative-to ${VERBS_PROVIDER_DIR} ${CMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR}/libmlx5.so.1.0.13" OUTPUT_VARIBALE LINK_PATH)

You'll want to create a new rdma_dv_provider function to handle all of
this.

Jason