[ewg] [ANNOUNCE] OFED 4.8-rc2 release is available

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Thu May 4 08:30:03 PDT 2017

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 02:28:26PM +0000, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
> Christoph wrote,
> >ping?  How does OFED manage to include hardware support (for a long time
> >apparently!) that's never seen any upstream exposure?
>
> OFED allows code that is not upstream to be included as technology
> preview (not built by default) to allow people to use it.  In the
> case of the Xeon-Phi code that uses peer to peer PCI transfers, it
> is not clear the Linux community would every accept it the way it is
> now.

.. and yet I haven't really seen that group in Intel participating in
the p2p discussions to design something that is mergable..

This is exactly why we so strongly discourage this out of tree stuff -
getting something unmergable in OFED is *NOT* Job Done, Time to Go
Home. Down this path just creates another Lustre mess.

Dan Williams <dan.j.williams at intel.com> has been actively
participating in the p2p discussions, perhaps you can arrange some
internal collaboration..

Jason