[ewg] [ANNOUNCE] OFED 4.8-rc2 release is available

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu May 4 13:54:13 PDT 2017

Doug wrote,
>I'm not sure I understand your statement here Woody.  If there's no API, then how do people even use the hardware?  Or are you saying that the API is in the library, and that API can be preserved even if the underlying driver >implementation is changed to match whatever upstream might implement instead of what you already have implemented?

The code that goes into OFED does not implement any new APIs or changes to existing verbs APIs. It implements drivers and user-space libraries that plug into the user and kernel space core
and emulate the standard RDMA verbs. Users use it the same way they use any RDMA device in OFED, through libibverbs. Although under the covers, there is much more to it than that
but from the user's point of view it looks just like an HCA that is used through the standard verbs.