[ewg] Help on build of ofed 4.8 on Linux on z System

Fu Long LL Wang fulong.wang at cn.ibm.com
Sat Sep 2 09:21:16 PDT 2017

Hello Experts,

I'm new to ofed and also this mailing lists.

Recently, reading lots of introductions about the benefits of utilizing the
RoCE interface for clusting soulutions.
I'm wondering if the building of ofed packages on Linux on IBM z Systems
are possible (s390x arch, such as the RHEL,Fedora,Clefos,SUSE and Ubuntu
for z).
We had the ConnectX-3 cards shipped with the z13 machine and will have
ConnectX-4 cards shipped on the z14 machine.

My first try were on rhel 7.2 and Clefos 7.3 and failed with below warnings
and erros in the compilation phrase as below.

Could you kindly hava a look on the issues at your convenience?
Any help, comments, suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!!!
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|.......                                                                                                                                             |
|                                                                                                                                                    |
|  CC [M]  /tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_memfree.o                                                                              |
|/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_memfree.c: In function mthca_map_user_db:                                                        |
|/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_memfree.c:475:2: warning: passing argument 1 of get_user_pages makes pointer from integer without|
|a cast [enabled by default]                                                                                                                         |
|  ret = get_user_pages(uaddr & PAGE_MASK, 1, 1, 0, pages, NULL);                                                                                    |
|  ^                                                                                                                                                 |
|In file included from /tmp/compat-rdma/include/linux/mm.h:5:0,                                                                                      |
|                 from /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-327.el7.s390x/arch/s390/include/asm/pgalloc.h:16,                                                     |
|                 from /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-327.el7.s390x/arch/s390/include/asm/mmu_context.h:10,                                                 |
|                 from /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-327.el7.s390x/arch/s390/include/asm/elf.h:134,                                                        |
|                 from include/linux/elf.h:4,                                                                                                        |
|                 from include/linux/module.h:14,                                                                                                    |
|                 from /tmp/compat-rdma/include/linux/compat-2.6.h:22,                                                                               |
|                 from <command-line>:0:                                                                                                             |
|include/linux/mm.h:1166:6: note: expected struct task_struct * but argument is of type long long unsigned int                                       |
| long get_user_pages(struct task_struct *tsk, struct mm_struct *mm,                                                                                 |
|      ^                                                                                                                                             |
|/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_memfree.c:475:2: warning: passing argument 2 of get_user_pages makes pointer from integer without|
[...]
|include/linux/mm.h:1166:6: note: expected struct mm_struct * but argument is of type int                                                            |
| long get_user_pages(struct task_struct *tsk, struct mm_struct *mm,                                                                                 |
|      ^                                                                                                                                             |
|/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_memfree.c:475:2: warning: passing argument 5 of get_user_pages makes integer from pointer without|
[...]
|include/linux/mm.h:1166:6: note: expected int but argument is of type struct page **                                                                |
| long get_user_pages(struct task_struct *tsk, struct mm_struct *mm,                                                                                 |
|      ^                                                                                                                                             |
|/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_memfree.c:475:2: warning: passing argument 6 of get_user_pages makes integer from pointer without|
[...]
|include/linux/mm.h:1166:6: note: expected int but argument is of type void *                                                                        |
| long get_user_pages(struct task_struct *tsk, struct mm_struct *mm,                                                                                 |
|      ^                                                                                                                                             |
|/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_memfree.c:475:2: error: too few arguments to function get_user_pages                             |
[...]
|include/linux/mm.h:1166:6: note: declared here                                                                                                      |
| long get_user_pages(struct task_struct *tsk, struct mm_struct *mm,                                                                                 |
|      ^                                                                                                                                             |
|make[5]: *** [/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_memfree.o] Error 1                                                                 |
|make[4]: *** [/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca] Error 2                                                                                 |
|make[3]: *** [/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband/hw] Error 2                                                                                       |
|make[2]: *** [/tmp/compat-rdma/drivers/infiniband] Error 2                                                                                          |
|make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/compat-rdma] Error 2                                                                                                     |
|make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-327.el7.s390x'                                                                                  |
|make: *** [kernel] Error 2                                                                                                                          |

The complete log attached below.

(See attached file: ofed-4.8_build on rhel 7.2 for z.log)(See attached
file: ofed-4.8_build on clefos 7.3 for z.log)

Regards,
FuLong