[openib-general] gen2 dev branch

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Aug 2 14:00:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:46:18 -0700
Roland Dreier <roland.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> I snipped a lot of stuff that I agree with.  I just want to comment on one item:
>
> > * A useful feature would be matching responses with requests, with automatic retries.
>
> On general principles I'm leery of automatic retries (experience has
> shown that error handling should be moved up to the highest level
> possible).

I think of this more as providing a reliable communication transport.  It seems that this sort of feature would be duplicated by any client that sends a MAD and wants to get a response.

If you push RMPP down into the access layer (which I think is desirable, given its complexity - even if it's a user-mode piece), then retransmissions should probably be pushed down as well.

Did you have a different idea of how to isolate retransmissions from RMPP?