[openib-general] IPoIB IETF WG presentation updated again

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Tue Aug 3 07:12:36 PDT 2004

RE: [openib-general] IPoIB IETF WG presentation updated againHi Dror,

> It's good to see that MAX_ADDR_LEN has been changed to 32. Does that solve
> all the IPoIB ARP related problems for 2.6 kernel ? Can we store all related link
> information in this 32 bytes ? What is envisioned to be stored in this 32 bytes - is
> it just the QPN+GID, or the entire path info, or the address vector object too ?

If it holds 32 bytes, then it can hold GID + QPN with 13 bytes still available.

Other information you might want to hold:
SL 1 bytes
LID 2 bytes
MTU (for connected mode) (1 byte)
Rate (1 byte)
Network Layer
Flow Label 3 bytes (20 bits)
Hop Limit 1 byte
TClass 1 byte

So all the info for an AV could be stored there. Did I miss something needed ? I didn't
double check this but there is still some room left over.

> I think that ideally, if a network device can replace the ARP functionality in the kernel
> that'll be better. Because this way the IPoIB can get an address resolution request
> from the IP stack, handle it by sending an ARP, then SA query for the path record, then
> creation of HCA address handle, and then place it in cache and pass back this address
> handle. When cache is replaced or expires, IPoIB will destroy the HCA address handle.
> If this is not supported, then IPoIB will still need to maintain a shadow table.

Cloning an AH is probably faster than creating a new one from scratch. (We would need
an additional verb for this). How much does this cost ? Is this optimization worth it ?

> Beyond that, it'll be nice if we could have gotten the IP datagram without the "Ethernet"
> header. Currently the IPoIB driver has to chop it, and replace it with the IPoIB encapsulation
> header. Anyway, this is just the purity of the protocol  stack layering.

There would need to be another way to identify the various protocols (aka ethertypes) being carried.